[driverloader] WMP54G, WPC54G, WRT54G WPA PSK AES on XP but only WEP 128 w/ LINUXANT

mmmgrrrl mmmgrrrl at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 20 14:41:34 EST 2004

     Well, unless anyone out there has any new input, I think I'll pass on trying to make my Linux partition wireless.
     The driverloader appears to be installed correctly because I can establish a wep connection to the WRT54G
     from the Linux  machine via the WMP54G.

     However, WPA TKIP is not working.  I remade the latest wpa_supplicant successfully ('make -d', just to be sure).
     My wireless interface is eth1; I have tried

                  1. ifconfig eth1 up
                  2. wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -cwpa_supplicant.conf.

        and
                  1. ifconfig eth1 up
                  2. ifup eth1  (all of my RH9 /sysconfig/network-scripts/   scripts are vanilla.
                      ifcfg-eth1 contains the correct stuff (essid,channel,mode,rate,etc...))
                  3. wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -cwpa_supplicant.conf

       Both attemps fail 'No suitable AP found' and  'iwlist scan' cannot find my AP.  But remember, the AP is always
       found with wep.  And the hardware always remains in the same locations.

       Manually trying to set the AP mac via 'iwconfig eth1 ap xx:xx:xx:xx' command does not work.  A subsequent
       'iwconfig eth1' shows  all other wireless parameters as would be needed   -EXCEPT-   "Access Point: " is
       missing and the "Encryption key:" is 'off '.
       I assuming (???) that one of the things wpa-supplicant  does is update the iwconfig display with the encryption key
       passed in the conf file.