[driverloader] driverloader installed but does not pick up my card

Todd Lyons TLyons at SequentUSA.com
Wed Jan 21 14:34:10 EST 2004

---quote
+ cat -v /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

+ cat -v /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE='eth1'
ONBOOT='yes'
BOOTPROTO='none'
IPADDR='192.168.2.6'
GATEWAY='192.168.1.5'
TYPE='Ethernet'
USERCTL='no'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='192.168.2.0'
BROADCAST='192.168.2.255'
---endquote

You don't make a local interface be the gateway like this.  If you need
to do that, then you need to use iptables (or ipchains if you prefer the
older method) if your doing masquerading or you route 192.168.2.0/24
through the 192.168.1.0/24 interface with route statements.

---quote
+ cat -v /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2
DEVICE=eth2
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.6
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
---endquote

RedHat also has issues with giving two different physical interfaces IP
addresses within the same subnet.

---quote
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:DA:4D:54:C4
          inet addr:192.168.2.6  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
---endquote

Carrier errors are physical errors such as a bad cable, NIC, hub, or
switch port.

---quote
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
---endquote

You'll have to get this set to 1 in order to have the kernel route
packets between local interfaces.  How that routing occurs is a function
of
A) the ip/netblock of the interface(s)
B) the source and destination ip/netblock of the packet
C) static route configuration
D) ipchains or iptables

Look in /etc/sysctl.conf for the (obvious) fix to this.

Note that in my opinion, none of the things that I have pointed out will
have any positive impact on your card getting recognized.  These are
only things that will make the system work properly once you get the
driver to recognize the card you have installed.

Good luck!

Regards...			Todd