[driverloader] yeah!! it works TINET1130

Dan Allen dan at mojavelinux.com
Sun Feb 1 17:26:56 EST 2004

I finally got the TINET1130 PCCard to work using the linuxant
drivers.  The exact model name is XN-2422g by Xterasys.  Here is a
brief rundown of what I did, along with my experiences doing it.

Step 0: pre-install notes

First off, the driverloader 1.57 or above is required to get this
card to work because of some missing function calls in earlier
versions (which hopefully my reports had helped to fix).  I did this
install on Mandrake 9.1 with kernel 2.4.21-13mdk, so nothing newer
than that is required to get it working.

Step 1: install RPM

I first installed the rpm, nothing special here.  This triggers the
script to startup the webconfd webserver application which assists
in uploading the *.inf, *.bin and *.sys files from the windows xp
drivers (note that you don't want to use drivers from other versions
of windows).

Step 2: load the windows drivers

I followed the instructions provided by the web interface to upload
the *.inf file followed by the additional dependent files when
prompted.

Step 3: register my license key

This is where it got tricky for me.  First of all, I wasn't sure if
you needed an internet connection to register the key.  The answer
is, you DO NOT.  However, whenever I tried to register my key and
setup my settings with the web interface, it hung everything and I
had to reboot to be able to access anything related to the device
(even CTRL-Z and CTRL-C did not work and this SCARES ME...what is it
doing????).  I think there is a design issue here, because bringing
up the device and registering the license should be seperate steps
in the web interface IMHO.  Anyway, at this point, go to the
commandline and execute:

 dldrconfig --webconf=off

This will stop the webserver deamon from running as we no longer
need it.  Next, run dldrconfig from the commandline to enter your
license.  It will ask you if you want to use the module, to which
you will answer yes.  Next enter your e-mail and license key,
respectively.

It is important to note that at this point, your interface should be
unloaded as well as the driverloader module.  So you might have to
do:

 ifdown eth0
 rmmod driverloader

The reason for this step is that the dldrconfig script will complain
the adapter is already in use, so it needs to be shutdown to
register your key (why is this linuxant?).

Step 4: bringing up the interface

Now, I use WEP and this part got tricky.  For whatever reason, when
setting my key I had to append the word "open" after the key to get
my network card to start getting signals.  You can do this one of
two ways...either using iwconfig or using the network-scripts from
Mandrake in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.  The problem
was, whenever I used iwconfig and then ifup eth0, it would drop all
of my configuration settings, as /var/log/messages would read:

localhost kernel: eth0: New link status: Disconnected (0002)

So what I did was put my settings for the wireless network in ifcfg-eth0
and then executed ifup eth0.  Here is my ifcfg-eth0 script:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=no
MODE=Managed
CHANNEL=6
KEY=128bitkeygoeshere\ open
ESSID=default

Notice the backslash prior to the word open.  Apparently, you must
escape the values if a space is going to be used.  After some trial
and error I figured this one out.

All that is left is to do an

 ifup eth0

and you should be up and running.

Step 5: observations

Some interesting things to note.  When running iwconfig I notice
that the IEEE is labeled as 802.11-DS.  I have no idea what that is,
as my other linux supported wireless card shows 802.11b/g.  Using
the driverloader module, I get a nickname for my wireless card, even
though the linux supported wireless card does not show this
field...this may just be a version difference in the kernel module.
I do not get a Tx-power value for this card, and I am not sure if it
affects anything.  Everything else looks solid.

Step 6: post install questions to linuxant

1. Why does the webconfd hang all devices related to the network
card (iwconfig, ifconfig, modprobe, webconfd) when trying the
register the license?

2. Why can't the license be registered when the card is partially
loaded?

Finally, credits...

Thank you linuxant!  I know you do get some criticism for this
kernel module because it uses the windows drivers, but the awesome
part about linux is choice.  For now, this helps to get a card with
no kernel module in the open source world up and running in linux.
I am not sure how one can complain about that.  If this continues to
work out, I will be registering my license very soon.

Dan

Daniel Allen, <dan at mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/