[driverloader] yeah!! it works TINET1130

Marc Boucher marc at linuxant.com
Fri Feb 6 17:04:50 EST 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 3:12 PM, Dan Allen wrote:

> Jim (jsw at wadell.org) wrote:
>
>> Dan
>>
>> Thanks for your post. The tip about KEY= \ open fixed a problem I have
>> been messing with for
>> some time. Where did you find the infomation?
> In my head ;)  It is amazing the ideas you have after many hours of
> starng at a terminal.  It begins to speak to you.
>
> Dan

The \ prevents the shell from interpreting the space as a delimiter,
and is documented in the manpage for bash(1).
Alternatively you can include the whole thing in double-quotes, like
KEY=".... open"

Excerpt from
        A  non-quoted  backslash (\) is the escape character.  It
preserves the
        literal value of the next character that follows, with the
exception of
        <newline>.   If  a  \<newline>  pair  appears, and the backslash
is not
        itself quoted, the \<newline> is treated as a line  continuation
  (that
        is, it is removed from the input stream and effectively ignored).

        Enclosing  characters  in  single quotes preserves the literal
value of
        each character within the quotes.  A single quote may not occur
between
        single quotes, even when preceded by a backslash.

        Enclosing  characters  in  double quotes preserves the literal
value of
        all characters within the quotes, with the exception of $,  `,
and  \.
        The  characters  $  and  `  retain  their special meaning within
double
        quotes.  The backslash retains its special meaning only  when
followed
        by one of the following characters: $, `, ", \, or <newline>.  A
double
        quote may be quoted within double quotes by preceding it with  a
  back-
        slash

Marc