[driverloader] amd64: dldrconfig fails with "This is for 32-bit targets only"

Tim Gilbert tim at skreak.com
Mon Feb 9 14:52:37 EST 2004

Hi...

I'm trying to get driverloader working on my eMachines m6805 laptop
(which has an AMD64 3000+ CPU and a Broadcom wireless chipset).  I'm
running kernel 2.6.2 basically configured the same as this:

	http://www.muru.com/linux/amd64/

...but that's likely not terribly relevant as I can't get past the
dldrconfig stage.  When I run it, the make in
/usr/lib/driverloader/modules fails with the message "This is for 32-bit
targets only" in GPL/divdi3.c.

As I'm running a 64-bit processor, I'd imagine "64-bit multiplication
and division" would be fairly trivial, but I haven't quite been able to
locate where this code should be.  Is there an obvious fix for this?
I've looked for analagous amd64-specific code in the kernel and glibc,
but haven't found anything.

Just for kicks, I also tried simply commenting the #error statement in
this .c files, but then make failed with a linker error:

	ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from el32-i386
(modules/imported/driverloader-i386.O) to format elf64-x86_64
(modules/driverloader.o) is not supported

which suggests to me that I stand little chance of getting this working
unless I can get an amd64 version of the above .O file.

(I've also played around a bit with getting 32-bit emulation to run
this, as described at
	http://dev.gentoo.org/~brad_mssw/amd64-tech-notes.html
but I haven't yet had much success with driverloader or any other packages.)

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim