[driverloader] Problem with suspending to RAM after installing DriverLoader

Henrik Nilsson nhn at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Fri Aug 12 13:01:15 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm running Fedora Core 4 on a Dell Latitude D600. My kernel is
2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 configured as shipped
(configs/kernel-2.6.12-i686.config), except that the touchpad/stick
driver has been modified a tiny little bit to make the touchpad/stick
work when the machine is restarted after a suspend (to RAM).

I'm having problems with suspend to RAM after having installed
DriverLoader, used to load a driver for my TrueMobile 1300
wireless ethernet card. When trying to suspend, five tasks refuse
to stop:

     kdldrd/normwork
     kdldrd/critwork
     kdldrd/hyperwork
     kdldrd/dpc
     kdldrd/wrk

However, if I first issue the command "dldrconf --rcstop" once, the
problem goes away completely. I.e. after this, I can enable
the network and resume and suspend as often as I like without any
further action. But once I reboot, I again am unable to suspend
until I've issued the commend "dldrconf --rcstop" once.

It seems as if issuing the command "dldrstop" is NOT enough to
make the problem go away, but I have only tried that command once
so I cannot say with reasonable certainty whether there is any
real difference between these two commands, or whether the
behavior is somewhat non-deterministic.

However, so far, whenever I have rebooted, I'm having the problem,
and whenever I've issued the command "dldrconf --rcstop" the
problem appears to go away completely.

I'm also seeing another side effect of the driver loader installation:
an attempt is made to start the PCMCIA services twice. However, this
problem has already been reported to this mailing list, and editing
"/usr/sbin/dldrconfig" as suggested to avoid it starting the PCMCIA
services did indeed solve this issue for me as well.

Initially, although a long shot, I thought the above two issues just
might be related, but the first problem unsurprisingly persists
despite the fix to dldrconfig.

Best regards,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science and Information Technology
nhn at cs.nott.ac.uk