[driverloader] Building driver loader from sources fails for FC5 kernel 2.6.18 + exponentially growing modprobe.conf

Henrik Nilsson nhn at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Mon Oct 30 22:54:54 EST 2006

Ho Jonathan,

 > DriverLoader 2.34 is not compatible with 2.6.18 kernels. Patches to
 > solve this issue can be installed with the 'dldrconfig --patch'

OK, thanks.

 > We have seen the problem you have reported with the
/etc/modprobe.conf > file in the dump provided by a few users. This
problem seems to be
 > specific to Fedora Core and unfortunately, we were not able to
 > reproduce this problem on our systems.
 > It is also possible that this is another program which is the cause of
 > the problem.

Indeed, maybe that's the most likely explanation!

I did a few experiments.

First, I removed all trailing comments from "/etc/modprobe.conf".
Then the file does not grow when I save.

Then I changed the comment introduced by "dldrconfig".
Whatever I changed it to got replicated when I saved.
That probably means that the "dldrconfig" script is
not the one that introduces extra stuff? At least not
in any obvious way.

Finally, I added an empty trailing comment ("#") to each line in
"/etc/modprobe.conf". After four saves, the result was the enclosed
file. Thus, some comments do not grow, some grow linearly, and some
exponentially! Very strange indeed!

 From this (e.g. taking the module names of the lines where comments
grow into account), would you say that some other program rather
than "dldrconfig" is likely to blame?

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science and Information Technology
nhn at cs.nott.ac.uk