[hcflinux] Error messages.. offer of help?

Franki frankieh at vianet.net.au
Wed Apr 24 05:39:26 EDT 2002

Hi guys,

This is nuts, the modem disconnected me 14 times this evening..(4 more while
writing this email.) Tomorrow I am going to buy a serial modem again.. but I
will stay on this list and watch and help where I can cos I'd like to see
this work.. I just can't afford the call costs while waiting. linux needs
more people like Marc, so I'm staying around to encourage him :-)

is there anything I can do to help find out why?

I piped tail through grep to see what all the errors where.
tail -5000 /var/log/messages |grep TERMINATION
messages I am getting include:

Carrier lost
DTR drop
Retrain failed
n400 exceeded
negotiation failed (that one was probably a fluke, and not related to the
issue.)

nearly all of those messages end with the modem hanging up and pppd
reporting error 16.

So, is there anything I can do to help you find the reason for this???

rgds

Frank