[hcflinux] Fw: Continuously dropping connections

Geoff Lane geoff at 3lanes.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 15:54:03 EDT 2003

   Linux Mandrake V9

   I am relatively new to Linux and recently loaded the
   hcfpcimodem-0.98mbsibeta02110300k2.4.19_16mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm driver.

   Worked faultlessly and appeared faster than the same modem under
 Windows98.

   I had to reload Linux after a disk geometry problem and loaded the later
   hcfpcimodem-0.99mbsibeta02123100k2.4.19_16mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm driver.

   This ** may ** have been coincidental but after loading I was
continuously
   getting dropped lines after a few minutes.

   It would connect, start to download data then stop - then I'd get the
  message
   that the connection had dropped.

   I tried three different ISPs and all the same.

   Uninstalled the later driver and reloaded the earlier 0.98 version and
all
  and although better I am still getting dropped connections on a regular
 basis.

 Is there a setting I am missing as the same modem is working OK via
Windows.

   Anyone else had a similar problem?

 Geoff Lane
 Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club