[hcflinux] Semi-success with a "no name" modem

Andreas U. Trottmann andreas.trottmann at werft22.com
Tue Mar 28 21:27:15 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 01:29:19PM -0500, Linuxant support (Jonathan) wrote:

> it is possible that you specific modem requires different NVM parameters
> to have correct dial tone, busy and ring signal detection. You could try
> to use the modem under Windows to see if these features are correctly
> working. If it works correctly, please send to support at linuxant.com the
> INF and CTY files of the Windows driver. You should also send a dumpdiag
> which can be generated by the 'hcfpciconfig --dumpdiag' command in a
> root shell.

I've finally got to lay my hands on a Windows XP box where I
could test the modem. It "just works" - I didn't even install any
driver. Using HyperTerminal, I've verified that ATI9 also reports
"SWITZERLAND", and dialing in and dialing out works fine, with
ATX4.

Windows Device Manager says it's a "Best Data Data Fax Modem"
where the Manufacturer is "Best Data". Note that the branding of
the mail order store who sold me the modem is "ARP Datacon".

Windows Device Manager also says it's using

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\HCF_MSFT.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Modem.sys

I didn't find any applicable .INF or .CTY files.

There is a driver CD coming with the modem, which contains no
less than 11 .CTY and 11 .INF files in the /Driver/WinXP/
directory alone. If it would be of help to you I cold try to find
out which one is applicable to my modem, and send it to
support at linuxant.com.

--
Andreas Trottmann
Werft22 AG