[hsflinux] Modem dies ...

Colin Pegrum colin at phys.strath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 13:16:38 EST 2002

I've watched the mail about modems dying ... I too had this problem
earlier, which seemed to only happen when running on batteries - went
away on mains. Typically would only tolerate FTP or data transfer for
WWW in chunks of 50k or so, Something to do with power control for the
modem? Periods for which the modem ran were much shorter than any of
the standby/suspend times, etc. Not sure which version(s) showed this,
too busy at the time to investigate properly.

Using a Dell i4100, Slackware 8.1 (2.4.18), Actiontec MD560RD modem,
(8086:2486) and now the latest HSF release (which compiles and
installs perfectly from source) as did all vers back to spring this year,
though early ones needed the fix posted some while ago to get the
correct IRQ for this machine (several things on it all share IRQ11).

Colin Pegrum