[hsflinux] Modem dropping connection under high CPU load

Richard Harwood rmharwood at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 6 20:02:28 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem.

I have an HSF modem in a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop and a registered copy of
the modem drivers from Linuxant.

Everything works well apart from the modem will drop the line often when the
CPU load is high. "High" can be anything from just surfing a few web sites
to running a niced-down distributed application in the background.

This is with the latest HSF driver on the site. I'm tried this on an older
kernel and a newer kernel and the results are about the same. I've tried
tweaking every kernel parameter I can think of to improve matters but it
makes no difference. I thought it may have to do with power management
because the 5150 is notoriously bad at this. Anyway, I have the latest BIOS
update from Dell on here too.

The following gets logged in /var/log/messages when a hangup is about to
occur:

kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
kernel: Conexant: TX FIFO UNDERRUN (Bus Latency) - FIFOE

Richard